Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mod 2 & 3 Exam Workshop 16/17 August 2008
Signet Solutions will be hosting a weekend of preparatory studies relevant to modules 2 and 3 of the IRSE exam over the weekend of 16/17 August 2008.

All candidates for this year

Attached Files
.doc   IRSE News Flyer Final.doc (Size: 935.5 KB / Downloads: 88)
At the Watford event last week we had about 50% split of attendance between those intending mod3 Control Tables and those not (i.e. mod 3 written questions / other modules). Hence we separated into two groups and whilst sessions for each were broadly similar we certainly put a different "spin" on each sesssion.
As discussed in January, I'll support as required and preparation for this event can now be higher up my agenda (it needs to be for both us and the students since time marches on). Email me privately re how it is now looking- my recollection was that I might be doing sessions on level crossings and single lines.
I hope more want to attend than responded to the online poll!
PJW
I gather that we have a decent number of registrations, mainly for both days, but there are still some places available. There does seem to be a popular demand for discussing mod 3 written questions and so I am likely to be leading this on the Sunday whilst Reuben does Control Tables. I hope to have settled on some questions in a week or so and will then post on this site.

I will be expecting to receive attempted answers at least a week prior to the event; I won't be "marking" them as such but will be using them as the basis of the discussion. In the exam you have 30 mins per question; on the training day we will have about 60 mins, but I know that the process of fully explaining an answer to a group takes around 90 mins and with related sidetracks can easily extend to 120 mins. Obviously if we only go at that rate we won't be able to cover much ground; hence I am planning the day primarily for those who have made a worthwhile attempt and share it with me in good time. Others are welcome to attend and I am sure they will gain something; however since this event is being held about 7 weeks prior to the examination it is reasonable to prioritise to assist those students already well on with their preparation.

.doc   2008 Mock Mod 3.doc (Size: 60.5 KB / Downloads: 95) Module 3 Mock Exam- Written Questions

There are 10 questions on the attached paper; at Derby I
Exam Study Weekend Preparatory Exercise

The attachment contains a preparatory exercise relevant to candidates who intend to attempt control tables as well as a single "long answer" question in Module 3. Please complete this exercise in accordance with the instructions and bring your answer to the event on 16/17 August.

Peter's comments in the previous post regarding choosing what questions to answer, and just "having a go" even if you don't intend to attempt Module 3 this year are equally applicable

Reuben

Attached Files
.pdf   Control Tables Preparatory Exercise.pdf (Size: 299.45 KB / Downloads: 91)
Looking for where the information from this event has been put- site disorganised (when will it be properly indexed with a search facility?) so I spent time looking but still not found it.
Since supposed to be of assistance to candidates, it should have been made available here simultaneously as it is unfair to those who did not attend. I understand that a CD-ROM is being produced and distributed so don't forget the rest of us or it would be discriminatory.
Aitch Wrote:Looking for where the information from this event has been put- site disorganised (when will it be properly indexed with a search facility?) so I spent time looking but still not found it.
Since supposed to be of assistance to candidates, it should have been made available here simultaneously as it is unfair to those who did not attend. I understand that a CD-ROM is being produced and distributed so don't forget the rest of us or it would be discriminatory.

The search facility is accessed by following the "Search" link above.

It is quite clear that no-one from the event has either yet had the time or the access to post anything. It is worth noting that the forum, (and all contributions to it) is run independently of any study groups or events which people posting may have referred to. There is no right to information and hence no obligation for people to post.

If your posts are not of a nature consistent with the intent of the forum and if you do not wish to respect the individuals who do participate with the basic decorum of such a forum, your participation is not welcome.

Any question asked MAY get a response if someone is willing and competent to comment. I would expect that most participants would ignore rants and demands.

Admin
admin Wrote:
Aitch Wrote:Looking for where the information from this event has been put- site disorganised (when will it be properly indexed with a search facility?) so I spent time looking but still not found it.

The search facility is accessed by following the "Search" link above.

It is quite clear that no-one from the event has either yet had the time or the access to post anything. It is worth noting that the forum, (and all contributions to it) is run independently of any study groups or events which people posting may have referred to. There is no right to information and hence no obligation for people to post.

If your posts are not of a nature consistent with the intent of the forum and if you do not wish to respect the individuals who do participate with the basic decorum of such a forum, your participation is not welcome.

Any question asked MAY get a response if someone is willing and competent to comment. I would expect that most participants would ignore rants and demands.

Admin

Indeed I got home at 21:00 last night; to prepare for the event took priority over such domestic chores as shopping, ironing shirts etc which are now priorities, though in fact I have other after work IRSE / mentoring activities to do this week so it'll be some time before I get around to anything.

Also you are incorrect; there is no intention to distibute a CD to participants.

You CHOSE not to come to Derby (we had several late withdrawals and several people were there that had only themselves asked last minute)- you are in no position to complain that you have been unfairly treated. My attitude is very much, "you make bed, you lie on it".

However in an effort to show willing I will put some files of some things which you missed if you send me a suitable CD mailer in a self addressed envelope to Network Rail, 3rd Floor, Dukesbridge Chambers, 1 Duke Street, READING RG1 4SA marked for my attention. The previous comment however was quite correct- I'd be doing it as a favour WHEN I can find the time- it is not your right.
PJW
Hi Reuben, Peter & Andy

Thanks for organising the event at the weekend, I found it useful and informative and a confidence booster.

Regards

Angie
Aitch Wrote:Looking for where the information from this event has been put

PJW Wrote:... in an effort to show willing I will put some files of some things which you missed if you send me a suitable CD mailer in a self addressed envelope .....

I do not seem to have received any such SAE yet.....

Since I have been specifically asked to put part of a general presentation here and the extract is not too large and may be generally helful for any of the written papers, I attach.

Much of the rest of it would be too huge and was designed to illustrate discussion rather than to make sense by itself.
I did hand out certain students attempts at questions having got their permission to share with others at the event; this did not extend to posting on website. If they want to share they will but it is not up to me to do so.

PJW

Attached Files
.ppt   PJW extract from Signet YM weekend.ppt (Size: 1.06 MB / Downloads: 106)