Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2010 Exam
Sat the exam in Bristol yesterday, phew that was the quickest 1 1/2 hours ever. I filled in CTs for all the routes and only 1 of the points and my attempt at the aspect sequence chart was abysmal to say the least. But I was writing as fast as I could non-stop and even if you were somebody who had been filling in CTs for 20 years I dont think you could complete them in time allocated. I allocated 12 mins for drawing out CTs and 45 mins for CTs which then snowballed in to slightly over the hour leaving me 10- 15 mins for the Aspect Sequence chart and I can honestly say I wish they had been second nature but obviously I had not spent enough time on them. Also when I saw flashing aspects I knew then Id come up against a brick wall. But as an experience well worth it....it's a hell of a challenge. So for next year I will take on module 2 and if needs be module 3.

(03-10-2010, 02:41 PM)merlin89 Wrote: Sat the exam in Bristol yesterday, phew that was the quickest 1 1/2 hours ever. I filled in CTs for all the routes and only 1 of the points and my attempt at the aspect sequence chart was abysmal to say the least. But I was writing as fast as I could non-stop and even if you were somebody who had been filling in CTs for 20 years I dont think you could complete them in time allocated. I allocated 12 mins for drawing out CTs and 45 mins for CTs which then snowballed in to slightly over the hour leaving me 10- 15 mins for the Aspect Sequence chart and I can honestly say I wish they had been second nature but obviously I had not spent enough time on them. Also when I saw flashing aspects I knew then Id come up against a brick wall. But as an experience well worth it....it's a hell of a challenge. So for next year I will take on module 2 and if needs be module 3.
It was good to meet you yesterday and I am sorry that we could not have made the 90mins seem longer for you.

Take heart though, I did pretty much the same thing time and content wise as you when I sat mod 3, although after a couple of mins on the aspect sequence chart I had a mental block and scrapped it to do a written question. I passed, but not as well as practice before suggested I should have!
Excellent meeting you too Peter its cool actually being able to meet somebody in person when you correspond via the forum and thanks for giving up your time to invigilate the exam....... as for the exam I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Cheers
Ian
Wow I completely agree, that was a shock when I opened the layout. I don
Ahhrggg, I think I flunked it. Spent forever trying to figure out how the point table for that twin single slip crossover thing worked (317 was it?). Suddenly woke up and realised how little time I had left to do the Signal Routes, so didn't finish those.
Someone please put me out of my misery, when the outside crossovers are reverse, which way should the middle set of points be set, for flank protection as the train doesn't actually run over them?
I know a diagram would really help explain what I'm asking...
(07-10-2010, 01:00 AM)Alasdair Wrote: Someone please put me out of my misery, when the outside crossovers are reverse, which way should the middle set of points be set, for flank protection as the train doesn't actually run over them?

Yes, I'd need a diagram as not really sure what sort of animal we are discussing- perhaps you mean an "outside double slip" or is it a diagonal path across multiple running lines but with some of the crossings actually single slips in a ladder arrangement.....
PJW
(07-10-2010, 07:00 AM)PJW Wrote:
(07-10-2010, 01:00 AM)Alasdair Wrote: Someone please put me out of my misery, when the outside crossovers are reverse, which way should the middle set of points be set, for flank protection as the train doesn't actually run over them?

Yes, I'd nee a diagram as not really sure what sort of animal we are discussing- perhaps you mean an "outside double slip" or is it a diagonal path across multiple running lines but with some of the crossings actually single slips in a ladder arrangement.....

Attached Files
.pdf   2010 Layout.PDF (Size: 105.25 KB / Downloads: 85)
.pdf   2010.pdf (Size: 227.08 KB / Downloads: 83)
(07-10-2010, 07:00 AM)PJW Wrote:

Yes, I'd need a diagram .....

Thanks Peter.

There is a succession of single slips [137/136/138] forming a ladder (very pre 1980s layout in my opinion, although I agree that we still need such trackwork where there are length constraints that mean that a succession of separate crossovers would be too long to fit).

Also in the same string of S&C, a double slip [135/136].

So I assume that we are looking at 137.
Routes such as 473A call N as 137B is trailing and 137A gives flank.
Routes such as 471A don't call since 138A gives them flank and therefore there is no problem with 137 being used reverse or indeed used normal.

Is this what you were meaning?
PJW
Hi, I have a long holiday after exam... almost forgot the layout and questions. Although the layout is complicated, the opposing routes are not too much-- I think. Yes, time is tight. I have made several simulation practice before, so funished all CTs and aspect sequence just in time. So I believe simulation before exam is very important, it helps you know how to allocate your time.
For the key points apparing in exam, such as flashing signal, there is some discussion in forum before. So I think if reading all the threads here, it must be useful for exam.
Anyway, I am not sure I can pass the exam. I just want to share my experience to the news: I am totally a new man in signalling one year before, I felt I learnt a lot in past one year. If having confusion or having some practice in past papers, post them out, there are many people will help and discuss.