Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2004 Indian Practice
Quote:Dear Sir,
I have attempted 2004 mod-2 paper as per indian practice & to my knowleadge. Kindly have a look at it & tell me what improvements can i make. I also tried to attach it at IRSEEXAM site but was unable to attach because of the attachment prompt does not open. Waiting for your reply.

Amit

The reason for inability in attaching is that it is a 5BM file; there are limits of size depending on filetype but are typically around 1MB. You'd have been successful if you had reduced the resolution and made the calculations and layout separate files.

I'll annotate those that I have now printed and then scan and upload here; you'll have to wait a few days as have just finished some nightshifts and will now be working away for a few days.

I'll give you what feedback I can from UK eyes; obviously I don't know Indian practice. It'll be interesting and perhaps the most valuable thing will be for me to identify from my comments what an examiner may think is wrong from a UK perspective but you know is Indian practice- this should suggest what form of comment you should make on your exam paper to avoid the risk of mis-marking. For example I think it was a very good idea that you defined your symbols- they are very close to NR but by annotating as "dependent shunt" which is not a term we use in the UK, this does "wake up the examiner" that this is not an NR layout. From our persepective to have signals with route indicators being plated as semi-automatics looks wrong but in fact I note that almost all your signals are either plate as semi or full automatics, so obviously I deduce that the meaning is subtly different.
I should be able to warn you of such things so that you can pre-empt when deciding how to present- I am sure that we won't find everything that might come up, but if your answer in the exam acknowledges some area in which there is a mismtch with NR practice, the examiner is then likely to take in their stride other things as well- what you must avoid is the examiner believing that you intended to follow NR practice but have got it wrong

This forum gives us an advantage over the examiners who will mark your paper since we can have a dialogue to resolve misunderstandings. However they will be able to seek the advise of experts when they have queries; however it is your responsibility to do what you can to make sure that they know which practice you are using and it is very "in their face". Hence you ought to write your practice on the paper itself; am I correct in my understanding that there is some egional variation in practice in different parts of India / is there a difference between city and rural areas etc?
===========================================================================
I have looked at your non-stop headway calculations in isolation; I thought they were well explained and presented; many could learn from your clarity. There was nothing "non UK" in them.

Attached Files
.pdf   2004 calcs Amit.pdf (Size: 177.85 KB / Downloads: 119)
PJW
Dear Sir,
Firstly I would like to say thanks to you for giving some valuable suggestion. I will keep them in mind while solving other papers. As far as different railway parctices in India itself is concerned, Indian railway is sub divided in 16 zones & almost every zone has its own practices which are more or less same but differs in presentation.
I will soon get to you with my new attempts of mod-2 & also of mod-3.

Amit Kumar Srivastava
(04-08-2010, 07:21 AM)amitkumarsrivastava Wrote: Dear Sir,
Firstly I would like to say thanks to you for giving some valuable suggestion. I will keep them in mind while solving other papers. As far as different railway parctices in India itself is concerned, Indian railway is sub divided in 16 zones & almost every zone has its own practices which are more or less same but differs in presentation.
I will soon get to you with my new attempts of mod-2 & also of mod-3.

Amit Kumar Srivastava

Not in a position to scan your plans yet, but I did unexpectedly get a chance to review quicker than anticipated so I'll post this now and follow up with the plans later this week.

Attached Files
.doc   Indian layout 2004.doc (Size: 84.5 KB / Downloads: 94)
PJW
(04-08-2010, 07:47 AM)PJW Wrote: Not in a position to scan your plans yet, but I did unexpectedly get a chance to review quicker than anticipated so I'll post this now and follow up with the plans later this week.

Here is the submitted attempt (posted unusually AFTER feedback given)-I have annotated with cross reference numbers to the previous text.

Note the file size is now under 1 MB but still perfectly good enough resolution I feel.

I'd welcome feedback on my feedback from one (or more!) of our many members from India !

Attached Files
.pdf   Indian 2004 layout.pdf (Size: 914.95 KB / Downloads: 120)
PJW