Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Reference for Reading
HI,
Is there any reference books for this module.
mangeshwakankar Wrote:HI,

Whether looking at doing the control table question or the essay questions, the background of "why" is the key, so a couple of thoughts here on some stuff that would be useful (UK Mainline case)

One place that you may start, although it is not a textbook as such, is NR/SP/SIG10097. This is interlocking independent high level rules giving step by step cases for what should happen given a set of initial conditions and the some event. It therefore does not strictly tell you what the control table entry would be for something, but gives you some of the background as to WHY there might need to be a certain type of entry.

For specific examples of presentation NR/GN/SIG11202 specifies this for Network Rail in the UK. While this is possibly of limited use in that you don't necessarily want to get hung up on learning verbatim a particular railway authority's layout (the actual layout that you use for the exam is not the issue, nor is the wording that you use to describe a given box - more the issue is have you conveyed what an entry there means and have you therefore got the right entry in the box), but if you are taking PJW's advice about looking at real world examples in post three of the "control tables" thread, this will help you understand what some of the entries mean if you are looking at a "real" control table if they have followed this standard.

I do not know if you have access to the NR standards (their catalogue is online at Technical Indexes but requires a subscription for login). I'm not sure what NR's view is on their standards being made available for "education" - I have not posted copies here in respect of their copyright notice. Does someone from NR have a thought on this?

"Railway Signalling" edited by OS Nock (ISBN 0713627247) (and I think still available from the IRSE) is on the core reference list for exam material. Pages 30-49 give word based descriptions of WHY controls would be present in a given scenario without being specific about how this would be shown on a control table.
Don't think we can put NR info here- similarly I haven't put within mod 2 Study Pack.

The RGS are of course available on line free on the RSSB website

Quote:I do not know if you have access to the NR standards (their catalogue is online at Technical Indexes but requires a subscription for login). I'm not sure what NR's view is on their standards being made available for "education" - I have not posted copies here in respect of their copyright notice. Does someone from NR have a thought on this?
Peter Wrote:
mangeshwakankar Wrote:HI,

Whether looking at doing the control table question or the essay questions, the background of "why" is the key, so a couple of thoughts here on some stuff that would be useful (UK Mainline case)

One place that you may start, although it is not a textbook as such, is NR/SP/SIG10097. This is interlocking independent high level rules giving step by step cases for what should happen given a set of initial conditions and the some event. It therefore does not strictly tell you what the control table entry would be for something, but gives you some of the background as to WHY there might need to be a certain type of entry.

For specific examples of presentation NR/GN/SIG11202 specifies this for Network Rail in the UK. While this is possibly of limited use in that you don't necessarily want to get hung up on learning verbatim a particular railway authority's layout (the actual layout that you use for the exam is not the issue, nor is the wording that you use to describe a given box - more the issue is have you conveyed what an entry there means and have you therefore got the right entry in the box), but if you are taking PJW's advice about looking at real world examples in post three of the "control tables" thread, this will help you understand what some of the entries mean if you are looking at a "real" control table if they have followed this standard.

I do not know if you have access to the NR standards (their catalogue is online at Technical Indexes but requires a subscription for login). I'm not sure what NR's view is on their standards being made available for "education" - I have not posted copies here in respect of their copyright notice. Does someone from NR have a thought on this?

"Railway Signalling" edited by OS Nock (ISBN 0713627247) (and I think still available from the IRSE) is on the core reference list for exam material. Pages 30-49 give word based descriptions of WHY controls would be present in a given scenario without being specific about how this would be shown on a control table.

Can you confirm whether your reference NR/SP/SIG10097 is correct as I have been unable to find this within the NR standards.

Ta
Steve
scorrin Wrote:Can you confirm whether your reference NR/SP/SIG10097 is correct as I have been unable to find this within the NR standards.

Ta
Steve
Reference number is correct. Document is titled: "Interlocking Rules requirements applicable to Network Rail Infrastructure".

If you have access to the search facility on the IHS system, just try putting in the 10097, don't bother with the letters - in my experience that does stop it finding things.
Indeed I have found exactly the same; firstly the search facility is nothing like as good as Google and its ilk, secondly there are a lot of standards which have nominally had their prefix references changed but actually the document itself has not actually yet been changed.

Conversely the easiest way to find a Railway Group Standard for which you know the reference, is to type it in WITH the GK/RT or whatever prefix directly into Google- almost never get any other fals finds and it is invariably is quicker than getting via the RSSB navigation pages (and tends to bypass all the warning pages re the use of colour printers etc.to boot)

Actually I have recently obtained a national non-compliance to 10097 pending standard change so presumably it will one day be abolished. It is not that much of it is actually wrong, but it really developed for one specific project that was never actually implemented- it was wrong that this one interpretation of the standards was made a mandatory standard. Similarly it has not been kept up to date with more recent standards and really was subsidiarry to the various GK/RT Railway Group Standards anyway ....

Peter Wrote:Reference number is correct. Document is titled: "Interlocking Rules requirements applicable to Network Rail Infrastructure".

If you have access to the search facility on the IHS system, just try putting in the 10097, don't bother with the letters - in my experience that does stop it finding things.
try searching for this document by entering rt/e/s10097 Interlocking Rules Requirements Applicable
(28-02-2009, 08:35 AM)merlin89 Wrote: try searching for this document by entering rt/e/s10097 Interlocking Rules Requirements Applicable

I think it is still there BUT it might well disappear.
It was originally produced for one particular project, in order to customise Ebilock for the UK market. It therefore does have certain "technology specific features" particularly re the signaller interface. Also the "baseline date" of the standards which it reflects was I think c1998- and it has not been updated to subsequent changes. In the event the project to introduce Ebilock at Horsham (and thereafter elsewhere in the UK) was abandoned- hence nowhere was ever commissioned on the basis of 10097.

By making the document a national standard then EVERYWHERE is non-compliant with parts of it. Hence in my day job I applied for and achieved a permanent non-compliance to the whole document applicable to all NR Infrastructure- therefore it really has no reason to continue to exist and is liable to be withdrawn. However I agree that for the student it can be useful- it is just that it is not a standard to which projects should be expected to comply.
PJW