Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2006 Q1 RISK ASSESSMENT Level Crossings
One of two questions set at the York Study Group May session. Any comments would be gratefully received and used at the June session.

Briefly explain the purpose of a risk assessment. Outline a suitable process for risk
assessment. [5 marks]

A road needs to cross a railway line, they are both at the same level and a level crossing (also known as a grade crossing) is proposed. Taking into account road traffic density, frequency of train services, cost and safety, what measures would need to be considered to protect trains and road traffic (including pedestrians)? [15 marks]

For cases where protection is required, what determines whether grade separation (with a bridge or a tunnel) is justified? [5 marks]

Attached Files
.pdf   JB - M12006Q1.pdf (Size: 120.59 KB / Downloads: 140)
.doc   JF - M12006Q1.doc (Size: 25.5 KB / Downloads: 85)
.doc   RB - M12006Q1.doc (Size: 42 KB / Downloads: 86)
.pdf   IP - M12006Q1.pdf (Size: 1.48 MB / Downloads: 103)
(17-06-2010, 08:58 AM)cgallafant Wrote: Briefly explain the purpose of a risk assessment. Outline a suitable process for risk assessment. [5 marks]

To me JCB's was the best re Purpose. IJPs was good but should have included likelihood and consequences; it then went on too much into the ALARP triangle- if this was supposed to be dealing with the next section on Process then it wasn't obvious and needed to be wider. Begins to look like regurgitation of pre-learned text which does not go down well with examiners.
JF's was brief but covered Purpose well (again should have mentioned likelihood and consequence though) but said little on Process.
RB's did sound a bit too much jargon but actually I quite liked it, but I'd have integrated the initial definition within the first paragraph.
I thought that RB's answer was best re Process- this is one time where the question really was asking for something such as the Yellow Book 7 stage process and rattling that off is perfectly ok because it does fit what was asked. It would have been best to have incorporated some info re Qualitiative and Quantative risk assessments from JCB's answer.
Also don't only focus on direct immediate harm to people; think about Mexico and Deepwater Horizon- it isn't just those killed in the immediate explosion that have been severely affected and widen definition of safety losses.

There are analogies in the rail sector. Similarly there was an incident a few years ago in the Morpeth area where a high speed train went across a CCTV level crossing operating in degraded mode and the barriers were raised just as trhe train arrived; I believe there were no significant injuries but the image of cars getting out of the way seconds before the train hurtles over the crossing certainly is not something that does the industry any good- a near miss if there ever was one.
2 of the 4 answers hardly had anything on process.

Quote:
A road needs to cross a railway line, they are both at the same level and a level crossing (also known as a grade crossing) is proposed. Taking into account road traffic density, frequency of train services, cost and safety, what measures would need to be considered to protect trains and road traffic (including pedestrians)? [15 marks]

General- This was the heart of the question and to my reading required a list of possible measures that could be adopted and then discussion, based on risk assessment, of which measures should be adopted at particular sites (as defined by their level or road traffic and rail traffic). I'd therefore have expected firstly some discussion of the risk that they were intended to prevent / reduce (to get an idea of the safety benefit that they may achieve). Secondly I'd expect this benefit set against their cost so need an assessment as to whether each mitigation measure were cheap, moderate or extremely expensive to implement.
I would expect something like this form of presentation
i.e. the question was designed to show that the student DID REALLY UNDERSTAND what they wrote re the purpose of risk assessment and the overview process of setting about doing it. Unfortunately this certainly wasn't evident from the answers offered; the whole idea seems to have whistled past everybody. The examiner already knows that the candidate claims to understand what was needed only the find later that when they are put to the test they completely muff it!
About as useful as having a car where the starter motor enthusiastically turns over the engine at the first turn of the key, but then there re is no spark in the cylinders to get the engine itself to fire up for the vehicle to provide functional transport. A starter motor is a vital but on its own doesn't get the car very far....

IJP: Seemed to know their stuff on level crossing provision but it was a bit rambling; hard to readily see how the individual measues were related to all the various factors requested. More of a description of various forms of crossing. The diagram really didn't add anything, but actually it could have been a good idea had it been used more; I could envisage a diagram with lots of possible measures, drawn given # numbers and then
a table with these # numbers, brief description of the measure and then further columns headed road traffic density/ frequency of trains / cost / safety and then in the intersections a comment whether measure would be inappropriate / undesireable/ possible / recommended etc in conditions of High/Medium/Low for whatever that column heading stated.

RB: I think that it started reasonably well but it then seemed to become more like a descriptive piece answering some other question.
Also there seemed to be confusion between needing a person to confirm that a crossing is clear (most CCTVs can be automatically lowered and raised) and the actual operation of barriers / gates physically on site.
I am afraid that is seemed to drift off into the marginally relevant- remember to keep to the question asked AND the syllabus of the module- this was a module 1 question on risk assessment using the level crossing example to illustrate in a practical application, but the answer seemed to be for a mod3 or mod5 question about the technical and operational requirements for level crossings. Not totally unrelated and various elements of what was writtten could have been useful, but not going to score many marks presented in the way it was.

JF: Extremely brief- only considered one type of crossing. Again fell into the trap of not really answering the question asked at all. Given that there were 15 marks for this section, I am afraid that the question as a whole would have been a complete disaster for the candidate; however good the other question in the question paper, I think that this would be a certain fail of the exam.

JCB; This answer wasn't great but at least it was the best presented list of possible measures, and some of them even mentioned the relevant factors, but again no hint of any risk assessment. Similarly get the impression that we have another candidate who doesn't actually know much about level crossings- whether the comment on CCTV was meant to apply to stop lamp camera CCTV on any form of protected crossing or being confused with CCTV crossings I am unsure but give the benefit of the doubt. However the idea that whether a crossing is protected by controlled signals or be within an auto section is dependant on whether or not the road is busy is horribly oversimplistic at best / plain wrong at worst.

Quote:
For cases where protection is required, what determines whether grade separation (with a bridge or a tunnel) is justified? [5 marks]

IJP: Concentrated too much on a history at the site; the idea of risk assessment is to provide on the basis of the highest risk, not as a knee jerk reaction to where an incident has happened, although I do accept that there is politial pressure and this does need to be factored in. Much to its credit, a minor railway in the UK which has suffered a couple of fatalities on its crossings due to road user error / negligence has launched an upgrade programme and they didn't actually start with either of those sites; they assessed the risk and are doing them in priority order.
Overall thought this wasn't too bad, but perhaps should have at least mentioned that there are also other benefits of closing the crossing: less trespass risk, better horizontal / vertical alignment of track giving perhaps faster running and less maintenance, avoids causes of posible delays to trains, reduces ongoing maintenance and renewal costs for the level crossing- but of course needs to be offset against that for the bridge etc), no interruptions to road traffic (commercial benefit to economy as less lost time etc). To balance that there could be disbenefits- is it even practicable to divert through traffic into tunnel or over bridge without demolishing people's homes in areas where there is little space such as level crossings in towns?

RB: This seems to start by quoting the rules / laid down policy. Certainly you could mention any legislative constraints, but the rules don't come from nowhere (let's hope); they themselves have been justified and it is that which the question is really asking.

JF: Again brief- did at least mention both safety and reduction in mutual interference of traffic flows. Cost was mentioned but almost inversely- seems to suggest keeping level crossings unless the cost of doing so is very much greater than eliminating the risk!

JCB: Very superficial treatment, but very good final sentence.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am really surprised having looked at these answers; to me the question was far easier than the other ones by the same people at the same time. I'd have thought that most would have dealt far more with level crossings than degraded mode signalling facilities during the course of their work and certainly there is far more souce material available about level crossings to study.

A fair part of this question is pure Yellow Book- the biggest surprise is the almost total disconnect between the first part of the question and the rest. I am certain that the examiners when setting an exam peper don't write lots of bits of questions and then package them together into asssemblies that just happen to sum to 25 marks in a form of pick-and-mix or "buy a newspaper and get a chocolate bar free".
The first part of a question is a lead-in to the remainder, not something totally separate than just happens to be there to make up the numbers .
I haven't allocated marks per section, but there isn't one of these answers that I feel would warrant a pass and I don't think that most would get to Near Miss territory. IJP was the best of the bunch and perhaps if I extracted the 7 stage process from RB and a few choice moresels from the other two then I might get an answer that would have achieved a Pass.

This is disappointing when the other question was done pretty reasonably by everyone. It has actually made me doubt myself and reevaluate, but having mulled over for a while I am still convinced. However I'd certainly be interested to hear if anyone thinks differently to me re how these answers would score or for someone to come up with another answer to this question.

The good thing is that I am not an examiner marking these candidates answers as I fear that, due to this question, I would not have many overall passes. My high credit/bordering distinction candidate on the other question would probably just about achieve an overall pass and perhaps there would be one other pass. A pass mark of 25% is worse than usual, but a pass rate of 50% rather better, so within the range of statistical accuracy (large on a small sample!) then this group of answers can be regarded as typical exam submissions I feel.
However it is still a good few months to the exam and hopefully by seeing how I react may give you an early insight to how an examiner may view your efforts, whilst there is still time to address the issue.

Attached Files
.png   chart-BP.L-6month.png (Size: 2.85 KB / Downloads: 75)
PJW
Thanks for your feedback for both questions PJW. I have to say, I found Q1 on 2006 difficult. While writing my answer to the main part of the question I found myself wondering what I was being asked for. Now you have pointed out how distant my answer to the 1st part was to the 2nd, I can see that a risk assessment and cost/benefit exercise was required. Hopefully I can take this forward and keep reminding myself of the syllabus and that there will be a connection between parts of the the questions.
(23-06-2010, 09:49 AM)jbrownhill Wrote: While writing my answer to the main part of the question I found myself wondering what I was being asked for. Now you have pointed out how distant my answer to the 1st part was to the 2nd, I can see that a risk assessment and cost/benefit exercise was required. Hopefully I can take this forward and keep reminding myself of the syllabus and that there will be a connection between parts of the the questions.

The important thing is that you learn from such things at this stage so that you are aware of the pitfalls before siting the exam and you should then be fine
PJW
Attached is another attempt that I have been sent as it was too large a file size to upload and I have printed and rescanned at lower resolution. I think it must have been witten on quite thin paper orginally as there is some bleed-through from the reverse which I haven't completely eliminated.

I am assuming that this was a timed attempt; only two sides is certainly rather too brief for 30 minutes but conversely it is excellently legible and pretty well laid out so a good standard to aim for in these regards.

Read these comments in conjunction with comments on earlier attempts

Part i)
Fairly reasonable re purpose but tidying up on terminology would have improved; should have given more on process - rather vague in talking about "discussions between people of different experience and backgrounds". Even qualitative risk assessment has a bit more structure than that wording implies!
2.5 out of 5 therefore the most I feel that it is worth

Part ii)
Not nearly enough content here for 15 marks.
I am guessing that 4 different types of Australian level crossings are named, with only the most salient feature of each type really mentioned.
Certainly not clear to me which have audible warnings, which are automatically initiated, which are interlocked with signals etc. Answer did describe circumstances of traffic speed / density in which may be applicable but I think should have considered the various hazards and risks more clearly.

Think should have been considering things like:
a) Chances that road user unaware of presence of train,
b) Chances that road user decides to attempt to beat the train,
c) Chances that road user although aware of approaching train and wanting to get out of the way is unable to do so,
d) Chances that if crossing is blocked that a message could be conveyed to the train driver to stop,
e) Chances that driver of train could stop prior to crossing upon learning it is obstucted,

I think that the question was expecting a list of items / functions that could be provided at a general level crossing:
[road signage, rail signage, road markings, road warning lights, warning audibles, types of motorised barriers, rising ramps, telephones, lighting, obstacle detection radar, cattle / trespass guards, live CCTV, video recording to provide evidence of road user abuse to permit legal prosecution, railway protecting signals, cab-to-shore radio, track circuit / axle counter / treadle initiation, inititialisation by driver, crossings closed nomaly to road traffic / normally to rail traffic, speed control of train on approach, in-cab displays etc etc] and then argue what particular risks each could address and then in the various scenarios whether the assessed safety benefit they would give was an effective use of safety money or whether that would be better deployed at that same level crossing but on some alternative measure or indeed would be better spent in addresssing some completely different safety risk on the railway.
With knowledge of one or more railways and the various types of crossing that exist on them that are effectively a mix-and-match of such measures, the answer could potentially be "reverse-engineered" from what you know a particular railway has settled upon as its assessment of the optimum balance of cost and residual risk.
Similarly some more thought along the lines of "I wonder why they are designed the way they are" should have provoked some more useful content; in the UK context at least (but probably similar elsewhere) if the barriers droop for any reason then both the boom lights and the normal flashing road lights become illuminated to offset the risk of a vehicle striking a barrier than is not correctly in the fully raised position; if the power fails at an automatic level crossing then the booms fall by gravity etc etc- this should provoke you into thinking of the risks that are being addressed by the design.

Hence although what was written appears good to me as far as it went, it didn't really tackle the real heart of the question. Knowledge of level crossings seems reasonable, knowledge of risk assessment seems reasonable but, although tantalising close at times, didn't seem to fully connect with the question.
Hence 8 out of 15 for this portion is as much as I'd award.

Part iii)
Missed the main rationale being the comparison of the financial costs of implementing a grade separation (typically very high initial cost but generally quite low on going cost) compared with that of a level crossing. The safety benefits and ALARP solution should have featured strongly and indeed to annual maintenance and circa 20 year renewal costs of the level crossing also make a significant contribution. The factors in the answer are certainly also important, particularly the costs of delays both to road and rail traffic and this leads to the answer that it is appropriate when:
a) it is the solution needed to eliminate intolerable risks,
b) it is the ALARP solution to mitigate tolerable risks
c) it can be financially justified by the additional economic benefits it brings to the country (which can take account of the safety benefit as just one of the elements that contribute to the overall most cost effective option)
Felt this portion therefore just under a pass and therefore 2 out of 5.

The answer offered was somewhat lacking in detail and certainly did not seek to explain the rationale; more stated as a matter of fact. It needed to be more closely aligned with the initial part of the question.

Overall therefore just about scrape a Pass I think. An extra half page addressing the middle part as indicated above would have made a significant improvement to the score. However it isn't just about quantity; there needed to be demonstration of understanding and the answer didn't convey. The separate facets of the question were generally addressed adequately if not particularly well, but the thing that seemed most lacking was the recognition of the direction of the question as an entity.

Attached Files
.pdf   2006 mod1 Q1 LOsler.pdf (Size: 402.79 KB / Downloads: 71)
PJW
peter, i have attached my attempt. i have not read your previous comments so forgive me if i make similar errors. I have used your guidance as to what the question may have been looking for, without which i would certainly been barking up thye wrong tree!!

Attached Files
.docx   q1 2007.docx (Size: 14.3 KB / Downloads: 43)
(19-09-2010, 07:24 PM)cmcvea Wrote: peter, i have attached my attempt. i have not read your previous comments so forgive me if i make similar errors. I have used your guidance as to what the question may have been looking for, without which i would certainly been barking up the wrong tree!!

I am assuming that this is 2006 Q1 despite file name.
I'll look at this by the end of the week; no problem re you having done without reading the earlier posts etc, but you may care now to have a look at them whilst waiting my response
PJW
(19-09-2010, 08:07 PM)PJW Wrote:
(19-09-2010, 07:24 PM)cmcvea Wrote: peter, i have attached my attempt. i have not read your previous comments so forgive me if i make similar errors. I have used your guidance as to what the question may have been looking for, without which i would certainly been barking up the wrong tree!!

I am assuming that this is 2006 Q1 despite file name.
I'll look at this by the end of the week; no problem re you having done without reading the earlier posts etc, but you may care now to have a look at them whilst waiting my response

OK I l didn't make it as soon as I hoed; it has been a bad week.

I have made some comments /amendments in your text and have attached here. It started very well and indeed it was because of this that I started tweaking your text as I felt I could improve it slightly and it'd be beneficial for others.

I carried on doing this into the main section. There were definitely some good bits but I think it took too long to move from the general discussion of level crossing risk and get stuck into the main meat of the question; a short linking transition from the first part to the discussion re level crossings would be great, but I think it began to drift its own way and not getting to discuss the MEASURES. When amending I hoped to show how to re-present what was basically your original material in a way that was more relevant to the question- for a time I thought I was succeeding but it became more of a struggle. I therefore didn't continue throughout as it wasn't actually how I'd have addressed the question and I hope I have shown enough.

I think I would have treated the question as an abstract exercise "if designing a level crossing from first rinciles free of any rules and regulations, what measures would you incorporate and why, customising on a mix-and-match basis to optimise the protection at that crossing". Whereas I'd be drawing on my knowledge of UK level crossings and a basic awareness of some abroad, I wouldn't feel constrained and so if I felt that a mechanical wig-wag was good for one hazard and a rising ramp from the road surface good for another then I'd incorporate both in my answer even if they have never been used together before.
So my answer would have listed items such as
SIGNAGE
ROAD MARKING
ROAD SURFACE
TRESPASS GUARDS
FENCING
BARRIERS
RISING RAMPS
ROAD LIGHTS
AUDIBLE WARNING
OBSTACLE DETECTING RADAR
CAMERAS- CROSSING CLEAR
CAMERAS- ROAD USER ABUSE
LIGHTING
RUN BY TREADLES
INTERLOCKING FUNCTIONALITY
etc and for each described why they would be provided and in what circumstances of crossing usage and geography they should be provided. The combinations may very well end up not unlike what we know as the standard types in the UK, but I wouldn't be constrained by them- I don't really read the qustion as being about these per se.

Your answer was very much based on existing level crossing types. I think that this is not unreasonable, but I think it needed some form of lead-in rationale such as the section I added early in that section re the context of your answer.
However I did feel that you were spending too long on description- some of it was certainly material with just a little rearrangement and added text you could have made highly relevant to the question (I did some bits of this to give you the idea), other bits -although factually correct- were less useful in that regard.

Perhaps it is just me getting tired but your words seemed to be less addressed to the question as I continued through the piece- I think you fell a bit into the trap of wanting to display yur knowledge so much that you lost focus on actually answering the question. This was a shame because it starteed in a first class manner and had a lot of useful material within.

Attached Files
.docx   q1 2006 Colin PJW amend.docx (Size: 26.06 KB / Downloads: 57)
PJW
2006 Question paper FYI

Attached Files
.pdf   2006Module1Exam.pdf (Size: 105.29 KB / Downloads: 15)