Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study pack
Having enrolled for the exam I have yet to receive the study pack has it been released for 2009, does anyone have a previous version that I may use? Also I know its a big ask but will there be a virtual study group for module 3 its something I would very much appreciate, as would be an excellent resource for me!!
Many thanks
Ian
(15-03-2009, 09:19 AM)merlin89 Wrote: Having enrolled for the exam I have yet to receive the study pack has it been released for 2009, does anyone have a previous version that I may use? Also I know its a big ask but will there be a virtual study group for module 3 its something I would very much appreciate, as would be an excellent resource for me!!
Many thanks
Ian

Having asked at end of last year for a deadlline re module 2 content and was told "ages yet" I asked again during February and was told ASAP as they were looking to get the DVD out by Easter. Resulted in a busy weekend for me to tidy up loose ends but they had the revised Mod 2 at the beginning of March; I understand that the other Study Packs would for this year be put on just as they are, but with also the more recent papers included.
My personal view is that the Module 3 Study Pack is not particularly useful, certainly for one who needs to learn and is on their own. I will however get you a copy one way or the other; my view is that the IRSE does need to encourage people to make a start early in the year and delayed availability of the study material is not helpful.

The whole website could be used as a virtual Study Group; you'll note that for 2008 the greatest amout of content was module 3 Control Tables, almost all submitted by one person and this is available to be looked at, and added to, for 2009.

I have set up a more private area for module 2 as an experiment, because some have stated that the reason why they don't post anything is "because the world could see"; so far though it isn't being used. We'll see what happens later- I have indicated certain dates for various past paper layouts to be attempted as there is definite value for that module for discussing "one year at a time". I am not convinced that this approach would be so necessary for module 3 so have not yet set up such an area. However there are in fact areas created for the various YM training days intended for those attending to be able to submit answers prior to the events (pre-information has been in IRSE News; I think the actual flyers will be in the next issue and when we have people registered I'll set up their access rights).

So in summary:
1. Please feel free to post your queries or attempted answers in the module 3 area; if you really want to have anonymity so that only Peter and myself could know it was you who posted then use the Answers Anonymous facility

2. If there are several people who want to work through the Study Pack "in step" and attempt particular past papers at given dates then yes we could do this; otherwise I am happy for it to be free-form, responding to individuals as-and-when. ANYONE WISHING TO HAVE THE DISCIPLINE OF AN EXTERNALLY SET TIMETABLE add your response to this thread so that we can judge interest.
PJW
(15-03-2009, 05:18 PM)PJW Wrote:
(15-03-2009, 09:19 AM)merlin89 Wrote: Having enrolled for the exam I have yet to receive the study pack has it been released for 2009, does anyone have a previous version that I may use? Also I know its a big ask but will there be a virtual study group for module 3 its something I would very much appreciate, as would be an excellent resource for me!!
Many thanks
Ian

So in summary:
1. Please feel free to post your queries or attempted answers in the module 3 area; if you really want to have anonymity so that only Peter and myself could know it was you who posted then use the Answers Anonymous facility

2. If there are several people who want to work through the Study Pack "in step" and attempt particular past papers at given dates then yes we could do this; otherwise I am happy for it to be free-form, responding to individuals as-and-when. ANYONE WISHING TO HAVE THE DISCIPLINE OF AN EXTERNALLY SET TIMETABLE add your response to this thread so that we can judge interest.

What I would like and would be some guidance on what to study and where I dont mind being a guinea pig and posting my answers to any question because if it helps me then it helps everybody. But where do I start? Anybody fancy sending me a question?
Quote:What I would like and would be some guidance on what to study and where I dont mind being a guinea pig and posting my answers to any question because if it helps me then it helps everybody. But where do I start? Anybody fancy sending me a question?

If it is the questions that you want to think about tackling then why not initially have a look at the mock exam written questions which was posted for last year's Signet weekend (they'll be a different one for this year). I have some answers already for certain ones, but not for others.

This may identify some subject areas where you feel that you may already have enough understanding to attempt an answer but others which you realise that you need to start studying. If you feel that the Study Pack neither has enough about a subject nor directs you to anywhere else then ask for specific suggestions. Although it is quite old the OS Nock edited "Railway Signalling" landscape green book is a good general reference, also for some things you might find my Control Table Notes useful.

Also see General signalling info which gives a good overview particularly of the headway, train protection type issues

What about some suggestions from those who have done Module 3 recently about what you used and where you started?
PJW
Hello Ian,

If I may help, I sat for my Module 3 exams last year and managed a Pass. This was after several attempts and I was able to do so most significantly with PJW's help starting way back in 2007 and his comments through this website for which I am grateful.

The topics I attempted were all to do with Point and Signal/Route Control Tables and the Aspect Sequence Chart. As I am not from the UK but Singapore, I had to learn UK Network Rail practice which I must say was quite a challenge.

To facilitate this, I enrolled with Signet Solutions in Derby for the IST Control Tables and Signalling the Layout courses. So if you are like myself who is from a non-UK Network Rail environment, attending such a course would be a good starter. If you work for a company that has dealing with Network Rail try to get company sponsorship for at least the IST Control Tables course as some of my course mates were on company sponsorship.

Those courses gave me the necessary background for understanding but to prepare for the exams much more was needed in terms of additional notes that are now freely available on this website and practice, practice and more practice of past year exam papers under close to actual exam conditions (with time limits) for which PJW will readily give comments. From this website, you will have a good feel as to the number of past exam papers I attempted in preparation for last year's exams. You will also find that too help with very real exam-related issues like the format of the Control Tables which I find the Network Rail ones time consuming to draw under exam conditions.

If you intend to attempt the same questions as I did, I can tell you that the Module 3 Study Pack from the IRSE does not have any information on Control Tables or Aspect Sequence Charts. On this website for Module 3 you will find the following very helpful and you may want to download and study them in the following sequence:

1 Control Tables PJW.doc which covers Control Tables and Principles

2 Bite-sized Revision Notes. Although intended for quick revision for the exams, these notes will help to cover the gaps not covered by (1).

3 Appendix S of the Module 2 Study Pack which is very good for the preparation of the Aspect Sequence Charts. [A draft version of this was posted on the website (in several portions since so large due to inclusion of ascanned examples); I have since removed it when the Study Pack was produced. It has been completed for the 2009 edition as art of the DVD that all exam registrants should receive. I therefore don't propose uploading here again, but if anyone paricularly wants a copy then email me. PJW]

Personally I found OS Nock's book difficult to comprehend. Maybe it could be because I tried starting off from there without any basic understanding but you may find it otherwise.

If I may be of any other help please let me know.
(15-03-2009, 05:18 PM)PJW Wrote:
Many thanks
Ian

IRSE .....were looking to get the DVD out by Easter.

My personal view is that the Module 3 Study Pack is not particularly useful, certainly for one who needs to learn and is on their own. .

The whole website could be used as a virtual Study Group; .....

I have set up a more private area for module 2 as an experiment, because some have stated that the reason why they don't post anything is "because the world could see"; so far though it isn't being used. ....

I am not convinced that this approach would be so necessary for module 3 so have not yet set up such an area. However there are in fact areas created for the various YM training days intended for those attending to be able to submit answers prior to the events (pre-information has been in IRSE News; I think the actual flyers will be in the next issue and when we have people registered I'll set up their access rights).

So in summary:

PJW

1.I would like to register interest in having the assistance of an externally set timetable as I do most studying on my own without having attended courses like IST,AST and working in a non directly ralated environment ie. S & T Maintenance and Faulting.

2.May I also seek clarification if its ok (for IRSE Exam purposes) to present the key columns of a control table format eg: as used on NR re-arranged and presented in a tabular format which I may personally find easy to remember and to reproduce in time within exam time constraints for more than one route on the same table OR they specifically want pre-determined formats?
(17-05-2009, 08:21 AM)peternrz Wrote:
(15-03-2009, 05:18 PM)PJW Wrote: The whole website could be used as a virtual Study Group;......

I have set up a more private area for module 2 as an experiment, because some have stated that the reason why they don't post anything is "because the world could see"; so far though it isn't being used......

I am not convinced that this approach would be so necessary for module 3 so have not yet set up such an area. However there are in fact areas created for the various YM training days intended for those attending to be able to submit answers prior to the events (pre-information has been in IRSE News;....

So in summary:

1.I would like to register interest in having the assistance of an externally set timetable as I do most studying on my own without having attended courses like IST,AST and working in a non directly ralated environment ie. S & T Maintenance and Faulting.

2.May I also seek clarification if its ok (for IRSE Exam purposes) to present the key columns of a control table format eg: as used on NR re-arranged and presented in a tabular format which I may personally find easy to remember and to reproduce in time within exam time constraints for more than one route on the same table OR they specifically want pre-determined formats?

1. OK. I am off to the IRSE Convention next week and hence quite busy at work before this so I do something on my return.
a) Do I assume that you intend to do Control Tables (and just the one written answer)?
b) Are you planning to attend the Signet weekend in August?
c) Do you have Study Pack?

Anyone else interested- please inform me likewise!

2. You can do whatever want really; no predefined format- if anything you'd be recommended to follow a 1970s type BR Control Table rather than the BR's CP9 which has migrated to NR's11202 style presentation. Examiners sugest that the "column approach" permiting several routes per dheet rather than "one-page-per-route" is quicker and thus recommend this to candidates struggling for time. Certainly need to concentrate only on the essential boxes, not the frills and I also recommend economy in wording of the column headings- see various other posts under the module 3 heading discussing the options.

ALSO-
Has anyone received the 2009 Study DVD yet or do I need to stir it up at the IRSE?
PJW
OK I have now set up a sub Forum; those that want to participate in an on-line Study Group may request access to it.

I have placed an introductory exercise there for completion by Monday 1st June.
PJW
(17-05-2009, 10:57 AM)PJW Wrote: ALSO-
Has anyone received the 2009 Study DVD yet or do I need to stir it up at the IRSE?
Perhaps he knew that I was going to corner him, but it was Colin Porter who actually approached me to inform me that the DVD compilation has just been completed and it had been given to the firm actually manufacturing the copies. Whereas the original idea had been just to put all the CDs onto a combined DVD it sounds as if rather more integration has been undertaken; this has delayed publication but should aid updating in future years. Other than module 2, I believe that all the technical content is as before but duplication eliminated etc.

So with luck it should be sent out very soon to those registered for Oct 2009 exam.
PJW