Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am aware that some railways define a points lie as Normal/Reverse (which is familiar to me) and others use Left/Right. Can anybody give me examples of railways which use the latter, and tell me if it's Left-hand route or Left-hand switch closed?
Are there any other traps for the unwary for Left/right convensions?

Thanks.
Dorothy.
PWay use N-hand switch closed. N/R is a signalling term primarily.

I wouldn't be too concerned with these definitions. Both can be ambiguous.

J
Le coureur
(10-09-2015, 04:15 PM)Jerry1237 Wrote: PWay use N-hand switch closed. N/R is a signalling term primarily.

J

Thanks Jerry, I am involved in updating one of the study guides and hoped to make it less UK specific. Should I assume all readers will be familiar with Normal/Reverse?
(10-09-2015, 04:57 PM)dorothy.pipet Wrote:
(10-09-2015, 04:15 PM)Jerry1237 Wrote: PWay use N-hand switch closed. N/R is a signalling term primarily.

J

Thanks Jerry, I am involved in updating one of the study guides and hoped to make it less UK specific. Should I assume all readers will be familiar with Normal/Reverse?
No, not used in much of Europe- probably only places with a British tradition have retained (although I suspect that anywhere with mechanical signalling would have tended to have utilised the terminology 150 years ago that most would have abandoned when relay based signalling dominated say 50 years ago)
PJW