Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virtual Study Group
As an experiment, I'd like to try to see if we can make a virtual Study Group (primarily for those self studying) work effectively. I wrote the Module 2 Study Pack to be far more "teaching material" for people on their own than the earlier Study Packs more aligned to supporting actual Study Groups in their activities.

In response to comments received that people would feel happier in committing the inevitable mistakes whilst learning in a more restricted environment I have made the sub-forum restricted. There is of course a flip-side to this; in order to get access you will need to persuade me to let you into the group.

I will want to be convinced:
1) that you are bone fide student or tutor,
2) that you actually intend to work steadily for the exam over this year,
3) that you will contribute and not just lurk

I shall be considering such things as:
a) the details you have filled in about yourself as a member (via UserCP link)
b) your reputation score
c) the regularity with which you visit the site
d) the level of activity so far: be it responding to polls, posting queries, attempted answers etc
e) anything else you can let me know about yourself and your situation (e.g. completion of the IRSE Exam student status form at Info for IRSE newcomers/)

Note I am not insisting on any one thing as a definite pre-requisite as I do not want to exclude anyone unnecessary; however I do want an actively participative group and it is down to you to demonstrate to me the benefit to the group as a whole to grant you admission. In particular the above is certainly not to discourage the inexperienced; I am happy that people work at their own pace to suit their existing level of knowledge. It is perfectly OK not to be intending to actually sit the exam this coming October provided actively working towards this for a future year.

Contact me to discuss joining the sub-forum
PJW
PJW Wrote:As an experiment, I'd like to try to see if we can make a virtual Study Group (primarily for those self studying) work effectively. I wrote the Module 2 Study Pack to be far more "teaching material" for people on their own than the earlier Study Packs more aligned to supporting actual Study Groups in their activities.

In response to comments received that people would feel happier in committing the inevitable mistakes whilst learning in a more restricted environment I have made the sub-forum restricted. There is of course a flip-side to this; in order to get access you will need to persuade me to let you into the group.

b) your reputation score
d) the level of activity so far: be it responding to polls, posting queries, attempted answers etc
e) anything else you can let me know about yourself and your situation (e.g. completion of the IRSE Exam student status form at Info for IRSE newcomers/)

Note I am not insisting on any one thing as a definite pre-requisite as I do not want to exclude anyone unnecessary; however I do want an actively participative group and it is down to you to demonstrate to me the benefit to the group as a whole to grant you admission. In particular the above is certainly not to discourage the inexperienced; I am happy that people work at their own pace to suit their existing level of knowledge. It is perfectly OK not to be intending to actually sit the exam this coming October provided actively working towards this for a future year.

Hello Peter,

Yes I would like to join your virtual study group/sub-forum. Hope to hear more from you soon.

Regards

Alex
me too.
Thanks
Hi Peter,
Please let me know the procedure for joining the virtual group.
I have already downloaded the two forms from http://www.irseexam.co.uk/showthread.php...24#pid524/.
Regards,
Mangesh
Hi,

I would like to join the virtual study group. Please verify my details and let me know whether i can join this virtual study group or not?

This year i am applying for 4 modules (1, 2, 3 & 5) (contender for Thorrowgood). I have already paid the exam fee, waiting for the CD pack.

Regarding the module 2, as i already mentioned, i will be answering the metro layout.

We have formed a small group in India, and our employer has already provided some trainings on Module 2 & Module 3. I am planning to organize some more trainings and 1 mock exam this month for all the members who are writing the exam this year (17 from our company).

(18-01-2009, 10:34 AM)PJW Wrote: As an experiment, I'd like to try to see if we can make a virtual Study Group (primarily for those self studying) work effectively. I wrote the Module 2 Study Pack to be far more "teaching material" for people on their own than the earlier Study Packs more aligned to supporting actual Study Groups in their activities.

b) your reputation score

(05-07-2009, 05:38 AM)ananthudu Wrote: Hi,

I would like to join the virtual study group. Please verify my details and let me know whether i can join this virtual study group or not?

This year i am applying for 4 modules (1, 2, 3 & 5) (contender for Thorrowgood). I have already paid the exam fee, waiting for the CD pack.

Regarding the module 2, as i already mentioned, i will be answering the metro layout.

We have formed a small group in India, and our employer has already provided some trainings on Module 2 & Module 3. I am planning to organize some more trainings and 1 mock exam this month for all the members who are writing the exam this year (17 from our company).

You'd be welcome and I'll set you up with access, but
a) disappointingly it has not become active; perhaps the "I don't want to post because it is too public" was just an excuse,
b) I can't help you on anything specifically metro because it is not my environment. However perhaps more general advice re what sort of things the examiners are looking for re level of detail etc.

Glad to hear that you have formed a small group and also that the employer has been organising some training; that I think is a very good step and a positive way forward for you. Attempting mock exams is essential and where many in th UK fall down in my opinion.

Extremely disappointed to hear that you are still waiting the Study Pack DVD. Not sure if they sent it by sea to India or whether it isn't even relleased in the UK yet. Suggest you contact the IRSE and ask when dispatched; if they can't do anything else they should have sent the old CDs. When I see students at the GM Rail session later this month I'll find out what they have been sent.
PJW
Hi Peter,

Please count me in.
Hello,
I am preparing for Module 1,2,3,5 exam. Please provide me with a password to access this subforum.

Sid
(13-07-2009, 07:57 PM)sidshekhar Wrote: Hello,
I am preparing for Module 1,2,3,5 exam. Please provide me with a password to access this subforum.

Sid

I have responded by private message as I feel this is the appropriate means to discuss the specifics of an individual's situation.

The idea of "an inner sanctum" was to encourage a more participative ethos by creating a more private area to give reassurance to those reluctant to do post their work in a very public manner. The corollary of this is that I need to restrict access to those who are going to be active members of the group- who are prepared to share their work so each can learn from each others mistakes. Hence you need to give me evidence of this; read the early posts in this thread.
PJW
Can I join the virtual study group this year please

Thanks

Alasdair