Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 layout-129 points
Hi All,
Just I have missed IRSE examination workshop on 6th & 7th July in Derby where I suppose were some debates on 2012 Layout.
So I would appreciate if somebody could please review my attempt on 129 points control table for 2012 Layout.
Many thanks in advance.
Ad

Attached Files
.pdf   129 points CT-2012 Layout.pdf (Size: 94.99 KB / Downloads: 200)
Actually we only had low numbers attending and not many were that used to control tables, so we really only went through a couple of routes and didn't get onto the points at all.
I will perhaps add the examples I produced on this website (may have to wait until back home again at the weekend).

Overall this was a reasonably good attempt.

You made BH dead lock 129 points N to R; I think that you should have conditioned on lie of 126.

I note that you decided that routes to 638 GPL should call the points Reverse rather than Normal. Just wonder if you confused yourself with which set of points you were doing; it would have made sense perhaps to have called 126 Reverse (to get any overrun back onto a line signalled for that direction).

If so, this could also perhaps explain why you have listed BH as a track after routes 615A(M/C) and 619A(S) used; what I really don't see is why you listed it after 642A(S) used. Doesn't even seem to be associated with the "upside down" oute boxes which never fail to catch out some people. The track is foul but isn't going to be included in the route locking for a route that does not read that way.
Conversely you have NOT listed BH as a track after routes such as 615B(M) or 619B(S) used- just don't understand what has caused this, but somewhere or the other you seem to have got your wired crossed in this area!

A useful cross check I find is to look at the last track in a list and see whether it is one of the tracks (perhaps with condirtions) which appears in the first column showning the neat track locking; if it does not it is a fair bet that you have gone wrong somewhere and so worth a re-look.

You have decided only to time out the overlap on BJ track (and indeed have chosen a rather large time I think); however you should probably also have done this by timing on BL- otherise a short train signalled towards 638 but only neediing to get behind 647 will still be locking the overlap all the time it is waiting to change direction.

I haven't checked all the detail, but I think this covers the most significant issues. I just note that you apparently side with Dorothy regarding showing overlap locking on the CTs (because it is actually there in the data), whereas I would not show (since it is actually irrelevant to put it in given that it provides no more locking than the dead track and that is already shown in the first column- hence I say superfluous).

(16-07-2013, 09:11 AM)adobe Wrote: Hi All,
Just I have missed IRSE examination workshop on 6th & 7th July in Derby where I suppose were some debates on 2012 Layout.
So I would appreciate if somebody could please review my attempt on 129 points control table for 2012 Layout.
Many thanks in advance.
Ad
PJW
Pete,
Thank you very much for your comments.
I have updated Controls Table of 129 points to your comments, please see the attachment.
If I will have more attempts on the last exam papers, how do I check if I am right or wrong, are there some answered paper? I don’t want to waste your time on my attempts.
Regards,
Ad

Attached Files
.pdf   129 points CT second attempt -2012 Layout.pdf (Size: 96.31 KB / Downloads: 146)
You can look on this forum for previous attempts and compare your answers with them and people's comments.
I also arrange for more experienced work colleages to review my work.

AFAIK there is no set of worked answers for each past paper, and although you will find a few on the Exam DVD, they are rather old.
Dorothy is right on a counts.
You will find that on this site we must have attempts for almost all of the last15 years. They do vary in quality but there is always feedback- where the answer is on the weak side I certainly don't point out every anomaly but do try to address a the major items.

The fact that the papers are old is really of little consequence; the bigger problem perhaps for other utilising for studying is that they use quite a wide range of CT blanks; actually Dorothy is doing a sterling job of doing some of the older papers using the recent CT blank. However I do have to say that if you are easily thrown by the different types of presentation then that is indicative that you are not really understanding the underlying Signalling Principles and you are not ready for the exam, but you are still at the early stage of learning during which you are mechanically attempting to put entries in boxes without full comprehension.

Certainly no set of worked examples for each past paper; there are a few. In fact the IRSE has been a bit spasmodic in producing examples for all module papers and I can't recall the last ones covering CTs; however the plan now is to phase out the DVD, make material available on the IRSE website and, over the next few years, build up the bank of worked answers.

(17-07-2013, 02:52 PM)dorothy.pipet Wrote: You can look on this forum for previous attempts and compare your answers with them and people's comments.
I also arrange for more experienced work colleages to review my work.

AFAIK there is no set of worked answers for each past paper, and although you will find a few on the Exam DVD, they are rather old.

Certainly happy to have another look but it won't be for several days.
PJW