IRSE Exam Forum
2010 Study group - Printable Version

+- IRSE Exam Forum (https://irseexam.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MODULES (https://irseexam.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Module 3 (https://irseexam.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Studying for Mod 3 (https://irseexam.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=73)
+---- Thread: 2010 Study group (/showthread.php?tid=328)

Pages: 1 2

2010 Study group - merlin89 - 05-02-2010

Will there be a virtual Study group this year?

RE: 2010 Study group - PJW - 05-02-2010

(05-02-2010, 09:40 AM)merlin89 Wrote: Will there be a virtual Study group this year?

Good question; partly depends on whether any real interest. Certainly everyone is free to post their attempts and queries in the main Module 3 area and I and others will attempt to answer.

The idea of setting up "inner areas" that only a more select group had access was to encourage more active participation by more people- partly as it was said that posting too publically was a deterent to posting at all and partly as an incentive: "you will be able to read more if you contribute rather than just lurk and download".In the past it hasn't really worked but if there were a group of people then it makes sense to establish a group so that we can say "attempt the 1999 paper by 1st march" and then everyone ought to be "in phase" and we can compare and contrast different attempts to the same questions at the same time. It makes sense to do this if there is a worthwhile sized group (apart from anything else it makes our life easier and certainly I have a very hectic work year in front of me in 2010 so limiting my availability). If there are only one or people then just responding on an ad-hoc basis as and when someone posts something they selected at random might be just as good......

Peter is running an actual mod2/mod3 group this year and may be by publishing that schedule it might give a framework / timescale for those studying on their own. Similarly we could set a timetable for working through a particular section of the Study pack / other study material.
Hence the answer in this question is mainly up to the student population (constrained of course by our ability to support as our resources aren't unlimited!); so this is everyone's chance to let us know what you'd find helpful from the list below for example:

1. Do you want the external discipline of being set work to do by a certain time as a form of "pacemaker"?
2. Do you see the advantage of attempting the same questions at the same time as others in order to compare?
3. Do you feel that the Study Pack isn't enough by itself to guide you through what you need to learn and how to approach it?
4.Are you all by yourself or part of an embryonic Study Group that is keen to work as a goup but doesn't know where to start?
5. Do you feel that you need the relative privacy of a restricted area f the website in order to be prepared to send in your attempts?
6. For what other reasons miht you find a virtual Study Group helpful?

Once we get some answers to the above, then we can try to decide what best fits the majority of the respondents; over to you all........

RE: 2010 Study group - merlin89 - 05-02-2010

1. Yes deadlines helps in a sense so that I cant put it off until tomorrow
2. Yes good to compare how fr you have come as an individual and as a group and how far you have to go
3. the study pack for me seems to be more geared towards listing relevant sources (but Im writing this only with distant memory of reading last years) I think its more helpful if as a group we can share our resources and tell each other where to find the relevant bits to answer the questions. I find sharing of information can only be a good thing whilst we can all go and find the information as other people have in the past the group ethos of sharing will make it all that bit quicker.
4. I thought that I may have been part of Peters group but on secodn thoughts I think Im geograhically snookered when comes to getting there in time so would prefer something online if possible.
5. Dont require privacy but in some of my postings there have been quite a few views Im not that shy when showing my mistakes on paper and good parts too.

I think there isnt that much of a difference between posting in the main mod 3 forum area and the study group its just more organised to move forwards as group. What Id like to see is a group of people all attempting the same answers with varying degree of abilities sharing their experiences and drawing on the wealth of knowledge of the moderator. exchanging information, resources ideas such as chapters of books to read, why they found answers hard or easy, knowing what the marker was looking for, generating style of answer etc. Im more than willing to pitch in as I have benifited enormously within the forum. In the study group if for example we say right by end of march submit answers they are reviewed we move on to the next..we could have seven papers done by september and I dont mind starting at the beginning by saying by end of Feb we submit our answers to either 2008 and work backwards or 97 and work forwards

RE: 2010 Study group - PJW - 05-02-2010

(05-02-2010, 04:47 PM)merlin89 Wrote: I think there isn't that much of a difference between posting in the main mod 3 forum area and the study group its just more organised to move forwards as group. .....

I don't mind starting by saying by end of Feb we submit our answers to either 2008 and work backwards or 97 and work forwards

Thanks for that, one clear vote for doing in main Mod3 area; let's see what others feel.

Exam does change a little over time, so the latest papers are probably best. Also I think that the Study DVD will have the rolling last 5 years papers on it; hence also easier for most to do the ones on this initially. My proposal therefore would be to start at 2004 (as I believe it is the first on the 2009 DVD but will not be perpetuated on the 2010 DVD) and move forward; when we get up to date perhaps then target some of the older ones that have particular layout features that have not come up more recently. Assuming also that main focus initially should be just the Control Tables but will then need to revisit papers as far as written questions are concerned- it would be unwise to rely upon the aspect sequence question in future I think.

I also like the idea of students exchanging info and the more advanced helping others; less of a workload for people like me!

So let's hear from others as well what they would want and what interest there would be on above basis?

RE: 2010 Study group - interesting_signal - 07-02-2010

(05-02-2010, 08:37 PM)PJW Wrote: So let's hear from others as well what they would want and what interest there would be on above basis?

1. Yes, I know I work better with a deadline in sight.
2. Yes, I think different people will bring different things to the answers, so by comparing, it should be mutually beneficial to all.
3. This will be my first year taking any IRSE exams, and I'm just starting to study so can't quite say whether the the Study Pack alone is enough, but even if it is, I still think there is more to benefit by studying with others.
4. By myself - I have colleagues that I can go to for help, but in terms of a study group/setting a study timetable it's just me.
5. I don't particularly feel the need to post in a restricted area. I'm ok with posting in the forum itself.
6. I think it would add more structure to my studying. It's a bit overwhelming how much needs to be covered so working towards the exams with the guidance others, and with others who are in the same boat makes it a bit less daunting. Obviously the success of it depends on the participants.

RE: 2010 Study group - PJW - 08-02-2010

(07-02-2010, 04:17 PM)interesting_signal Wrote:
(05-02-2010, 08:37 PM)PJW Wrote: So let's hear from others as well what they would want and what interest there would be on above basis?

1. Yes, I know I work better with a deadline in sight.
2. Yes, I think different people will bring different things to the answers...
3. This will be my first year taking any IRSE exams, and I'm just starting to study ....
4. ... I have colleagues that I can go to for help, but in terms of a study group/setting a study timetable it's just me.
5. .... I'm ok with posting in the forum itself.
6. .....working towards the exams with the guidance others, and with others who are in the same boat makes it a bit less daunting. Obviously the success of it depends on the participants.

Thanks for your reply; sounds as if you want broadly similar things and you seem to have the attitude to make this work.

It's good to hear from one of those who was been registered on the website for some time but who has previously been silent I am sure that there are many like you who we need to encourage to get into the water rather than just watch from the edge. Even if some of what I write below does not actually apply to you as an individual it may still be relevant as a "representative of the silent majority"

Based on what little I know, I am guessing that whereas Merlin has quite a lot of knowledge and therefore wants to start off straightaway with attempting Past papers, this may perhaps be a bit of a "tall order" for you.

However I suggest that we do start with the Control tables 2004 paper and use that as a litmus test- however don't panic if that does seem way beyond you at present:
a) Just getting yourself organised with considering the form of blank CT you would use is a useful start
b) Sitting down attempting to do it will at least give you a focus to read some of the Study material you have to hand
c) similarly you can approach colleagues with a specific question in mind
d) I'll be able to use your attempt to gain a clearer idea re where you are starting from.

If we find that this is too much too quickly then we can move to something rather simpler and lead you through it rather more.

You obviously have the mod 3 Study Pack; I am right in assuming that this is via the 2008 DVD and that you therefore have access to the 2004 layout 3 and the question paper that defines the points and routes to be undertaken?

Merlin listed a good range of reerence books- to what do you have access? Have you ever attended courses such as BST, IST that have covered Control tables and do you have the notes available? Have you looked around and downloaded material from this website?

Suggest start off by deciding upon the form of CT blank to start using- you may well change your mind from experience of practice but you need to start off somewhere.

RE: 2010 Study group - nicklawford - 08-02-2010

(05-02-2010, 08:37 PM)PJW Wrote:
(05-02-2010, 04:47 PM)merlin89 Wrote: I think there isn't that much of a difference between posting in the main mod 3 forum area and the study group its just more organised to move forwards as group. .....

I don't mind starting by saying by end of Feb we submit our answers to either 2008 and work backwards or 97 and work forwards

Thanks for that, one clear vote for doing in main Mod3 area; let's see what others feel.

There is a possible spin off benefit from using the main areas - it is clearly and simply accessable to all not only now, for this year, but for as long as this IRSEEXAM forum exists.

I have no interest in attempting M3 whatsover - but I would certainly read post-attempt comments for getting feel about general exam technique. There is precious little to go on (yet) for my main interest areas - M4 and M6 - so it is a case of collecting information from eleswhere.

Over time the forum will rack up an ever increasing number of posts and comments and discussions and it will become - I predict - an ever more valuable resource. The more information that may be seen by all then the more use it will be. IRSE Procedings are indispensible - this forum could be a microcosm of that.

And over time that may in turn reduce Super Moderator workload ?

--
Nick

RE: 2010 Study group - Alasdair - 18-02-2010

I would be interested in trying to do the same paper at the same time, and don't really feel a need for secrecy in a private group.
At the risk of creating more work for the "Super Moderator", would it make sense to put a subfolder in for each year's paper, so all threads relevent to that paper end up in the same place?

Oh and did you mean that bit about "get the 1999 paper done by the 1st march"?

RE: 2010 Study group - PJW - 18-02-2010

(18-02-2010, 05:59 PM)Alasdair Wrote: I would be interested in trying to do the same paper at the same time, and don't really feel a need for secrecy in a private group.
At the risk of creating more work for the "Super Moderator", would it make sense to put a subfolder in for each year's paper, so all threads relevent to that paper end up in the same place?

Oh and did you mean that bit about "get the 1999 paper done by the 1st march"?

1. Yes we could try to separate the various years papers into subfolders; not sure how paracticable that will be or when will get time to do it but it is a good suggestion. Perhaps not do that yet retrospectively yet but yes I will create one for the papers a swe doo them

2. Merlin suggested 1999 initially; I had a counter proposla of 2004 which perhaps I didn't make obvious enough. Yes the 1st March was the suggestion. To be frank I'll be away testing on the T&D that week so I won't actually look at until 8th March so you can have that extra week.

3. In case there is confusion and people have already started I've created sub-folders for BOTH 1999 and 2004 so carry on with whichever has been started. If not yet started then do 2004.

RE: 2010 Study group - merlin89 - 18-02-2010

Yes I'm all for starting with the 2004 paper